Periaatepäätös sisältää 5 periaatetta (korostukset minun):
1. When purchasing new software, free and open-source software and proprietary software are to be considered on an equal footing, with the object of always selecting the most favourable purchase.
2. Every endeavour shall be made to choose software based on open standards, regardless of whether the software in question is standard or bespoke (custom-designed). Generally, software which is free for anyone to use is also typified by open standards.
3. Public bodies shall endeavour to avoid any undue dependence on particular software manufacturers or service providers. The utilisation of free and open-source software is one means of this.
4. One goal for bespoke (custom-designed) software financed by public bodies, including software for research and development projects, should be its reusability. Keeping the software free and open-source is one way to achieve reusability. Strategies shall be devised at the outset of such projects for ensuring reuse of the software.
5. Students in Icelandic educational institutions shall be given the opportunity of learning about and using free and open-source software on a par with proprietary software.
Periaatepäätökset ovat hyviä, mutta toimeenapano on yleensä huomattavasti hankalampi. Keppi ei varmasti toimi ja islantilaiset pyrkivät tarjoamaan porkkananoita. Toimeenpanoa varten on perustettu projekti, jota vetää Tryggvi Björgvinsson.